There are many local resources that development initiatives can take advantage of and promote in order to:
- make more efficient use of their time and resources.
- assure plural relevance.
- provide integrative responses that enable sustainable development.
- promote trust and solidarity.
- diversify sources of financial and political support.
- reduce dependency on outside resources and professional support.
- strengthen the local economy by establishing alternative barter systems.
These will help create the conditions to negotiate financial support with donors more equitably.
Strategies related to tapping local resources for such purposes include:
Results-based trust Motivating and capitalizing on local ownership Entrepreneurship Human capital Know-how Institutional profile Parity/Matching funds Advocacy capacity Showing people concrete means to contribute and impact Voluntary contributions Strengthening the local economy Alternative barter systems ♣ Directory of participants/resources